We want to share with you our favourite recipe this winter; Bobotie, a proudly South African dish that will leave you licking your lips! This traditional recipe incorporates spiced mince topped with an apple layer and a cheese crust to form the perfect Bobotie dish that the whole family will love. This is the ultimate dish for a cosy gathering with friends and family.
Delivers 8-10 Portions
2 Onions Chopped
10ml Curry Powder
100ml 1Beef Stock in Water
4slices Brown bread Soaked in Stock
1kg Lean-Beef Mince
Salt & black pepper to taste
- Brown the onion with the curry and turmeric spices add the mince and brown a bit. Then add the bread and mix in with salt & pepper.
10ml Sugar / Apricot Jam
2 Eggs Whisked
- Mix all the above ingredients and mix in well with the mince. Put in a oven bake dish.
Cinnamon, Cloves & Orange peel
1kg Apples peeled and cut in square pieces
150ml Apple Juice
100g Brown Sugar
- Boil the apples in the apple juice for ±15min. Add the sugar & butter. Let it simmer and remove from heat cool down a bit and layer over the bobotie.
(Halve of the apples can be replaced with sweet potato)
250ml Cake flour
5ml Baking powder
100g Cheddar Cheese
- Mix the dry ingredients and rub the butter in until it crumbles. Mix the grated cheese in and place on top of the apple layer.
- Bake for 20-30min at a 160ºC.